Is D really that bad?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Mon Oct 31 21:58:53 UTC 2022

On 10/31/22 20:52, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/31/2022 5:47 AM, zjh wrote:
>> `D` needs a reasonable `todo` list with `priority` !.
>
> The thing is, we don't assign people tasks from a list. People work on
> what they want to work on. Sponsors can fund specific tasks they need done.

The value of such a list is that people who do want to work on one of
the items on the list anyway receive some assurance that what they want
to work on aligns with the goals of the project and has a reasonable
chance of being upstreamed. This is important for people who have
limited resources to spend on open source projects not immediately
related to their day job. For example, your and Andrei's very clear,
concise and consistent communication making clear that that `static
foreach` is desirable but difficult to implement is exactly what
prompted me to start working on the implementation.

I think the foundation has generally been moving into this direction?
(E.g., vision statements.) Of course, keeping a detailed list up to date
also causes some overhead, so it is a tradeoff.