Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at qfbox.info
Fri Sep 9 18:20:56 UTC 2022

On Fri, Sep 09, 2022 at 05:52:37PM +0000, Max Samukha via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Friday, 9 September 2022 at 16:55:18 UTC, Puneet Goel wrote:
> > I recently saw a talk by Walter Bright in the recently concluded
> > DConf where Walter made a case for dropping compiler support for
> > Binary literals.
> >
> > I use Dlang for hardware. Binary literals are scattered everywhere
> > in my code. D is a systems programming language. And thanks to
> > industry-wide FPGA/CPU consolidation, programmable hardware is
> > projected to grow big in the coming years.
> >
> > Please reconsider binary literal deprecation.
>
> Same here. Please leave the binary literals alone. In general, "I
> haven't needed this feature for a long time/my friends don't use it"
> is a terrible indicator of what is/may be useful.

I also oppose dropping binary literals. Although I don't use them often,
the few times I do need them I'm very glad they are there. I consider it
one of the niceties of D that C missed, and would be rather disappointed
if we dropped it. It would be a pain to have to resort to a template
just so I can use binary literals.

Любишь кататься - люби и саночки возить.