Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 20:35:49 UTC 2022

On 9/9/22 3:13 PM, Adam D Ruppe wrote:
> On Friday, 9 September 2022 at 16:55:18 UTC, Puneet Goel wrote:
>> I recently saw a talk by Walter Bright in the recently concluded DConf
>> where Walter made a case for dropping compiler support for Binary
>> literals.
>
> He thought it was already dropped.... and the octal drop btw wasn't
> really that much of a success either. We should have went with 0o.

Deprecating 0-leading literals to mean octal is and will always be a
success.

The octal literal template -- meh. It functions. I don't think it's a
thing we need to highlight. It runs a simple parser at CTFE which isn't
nearly as cheap as the octal parser in the compiler.

The truly ironic thing is that the compiler is still correctly parsing
octal literals, so it can tell you how to write them with std.conv.octal ;)

-Steve