Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Sep 9 23:04:17 UTC 2022

> The octal literal template -- meh. It functions. I don't think it's a thing we
> need to highlight. It runs a simple parser at CTFE which isn't nearly as cheap
> as the octal parser in the compiler.

That's because it's poorly implemented and overly complex. The implementation I
showed in my presentation at Dconf is much simpler.

If you're using a lot of octal literals such that this is an issue, one wonders,
what for? The only use I know of is for Unix file permissions.

> The truly ironic thing is that the compiler is still correctly parsing octal
> literals, so it can tell you how to write them with std.conv.octal ;)

To make transition easier. Simplifying the language has a lot of downstream
simplifications.