Looking for a mentor for SAOC

Mike Parker aldacron at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 11:08:28 UTC 2022

On Monday, 12 September 2022 at 10:26:16 UTC, Vlad Chicoș wrote:
> Hi! I am interested in working on this project :
> https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/84 (QUIC Protocol) and
> I am in search of a mentor.

For anyone interested in this, Symmetry pays $500 to every
participating mentor at the end of the event. The primary duties
of a mentor are as follows:

* assist the mentee with the initial project planning (milestone
development)
* provide the mentee with guidance as needed throughout the event
* review the mentee's monthly milestone reports before the mentee
submits them to the judges
* submit a review of the mentee's progress at the end of each
milestone

The following document is aimed at the mentees, but it contains
information potential mentors my find useful:

https://gist.github.com/mdparker/47d77649d2a09c31f529160b4176512f

Ultimately, it's up to each mentor how and how often to make
themselves available. Some mentees require very little guidance,
others require more. As a baseline, we recommend weekly video
chats to keep an eye on progress if nothing else.

In this case, existing knowledge of the QUIC protocol, though
useful, isn't necessary---that can be picked up on the fly.
What's more important, aside from a willingness to help, is a
strong background in D.

Additionally, the first milestone kicks off in a few days. We can
make sure Vlăduț gets a good start on the initial milestone list,
but any mentor who comes in should help refine it going forward.

Please let us know here, or email me at social at dlang.org, if
you're interested.

Thanks!