Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Tue Sep 13 20:08:02 UTC 2022

On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 19:56:22 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 19:47:43 UTC, Don Allen wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 13 September 2022 at 19:21:11 UTC, Max Samukha
>> wrote:

>>> Nibble is four digits.
>>
>> And your point is?
>
> My point has been restated multiple times in this thread by
> several people: if the binary represents bit flags and is
> grouped with a dash in nibbles, it is easier to read than a
> hex. You count bits, not hex digits, and there is no need to
> count more than 4.

I'm aware of those arguments. It wasn't at all clear how your
terse comment related to them.

Yes, if you are concerned with individual bits, then binary
representation is obviously more natural than hex (or octal or
decimal). But depending on your purpose, other representations
may be more natural than 0b. I gave an example in a previous post
and therefore won't repeat.