Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Quirin Schroll qs.il.paperinik at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 09:54:44 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 05:58:53 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
>> But it doesn't disprove the fact that *sometimes*, hex digits
>> aren't as clear.
>
> Does sometimes justify a language feature, when there are other
> ways?

It’s *change* not *features* that must be justified. If a feature
is already properly implemented and available for years, removing
it must be justified.

It is trivial to justify removal of a feature that was promised
by the spec, but never implemented (e.g. `cent`). It is easy to
justify changes on a feature (including removal) that was
inconsistent or never worked correctly (I’m no expert, but I
remember `shared` being named in this context).

> People often complain that D has too many features. What
> features would you say are not worth it?

Any feature that works as intended is probably used or even
relied upon by someone.

I cannot give you a list, but a criterion. The ones that are
worth removing are those that have not worked correctly for
years. Apparently, no fix is being found and/or nobody cares
enough. It makes sense removing those.