Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Salih Dincer salihdb at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 14 13:13:16 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 00:35:04 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
>>> Is it? How do you know it didn't overflow the int and create
>>> a long? How do you know you filled up the int?
>>
>> How do you know the purpose is to fill up an int?
>
> Ok, I'll rephrase that. How do you know when to stop?
>
> There's a reason hex is so ubiquitous. It's compact. Binary
> literals beyond a few digits (8 max) are more or less
> unreadable. Yes, the _ can extend it to more digits before it
> becomes unreadable. (Even long hex numbers benefit from _,
> again, after 8 digits.)

As a digital electronics lover I wouldn't support Walter. But in
the days when big data penetrated our bones, Walter was right. As
the number of bits increases, grouping and counting becomes
meaningless. The simplest example is the RGB color system. 16.7
million colors of 3 x 8 bits!

SDB@