Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 14 22:26:12 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 19:39:19 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 9/13/2022 6:52 AM, Don Allen wrote:
>> So while I don't have a personal use for binary literals,
>> clearly others have. But Walter sees an internal cost to the
>> compiler.
> The internal cost to the compiler is pretty small as these
> things go. It's more the cognitive cost of a larger language.

If that's the case, then I would say that removing binary
literals is a really tiny step that is not worth taking, given
the push-back from the community. I think there are other much
larger ways in which the language is too complex, many inherited
from C and C++. For me, that's where the real payoff is.
Backwards compatibility, as always, will be the big impediment.