Regarding the proposed Binray Literals Deprecation

Don Allen donaldcallen at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 15:45:36 UTC 2022

On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 05:58:53 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
>> But it doesn't disprove the fact that *sometimes*, hex digits
>> aren't as clear.
>
> Does sometimes justify a language feature, when there are other
> ways?

"When there are other ways" doesn't always justify removing a
language feature, to turn your question around. One can write
switch statements with if-then-else chains, so why not remove
switch? The obvious answer is that *sometimes* switch is a better
way to say what needs to be said. There's overlap in all
languages, programming and otherwise, for exactly this reason.

Again, since you have said there isn't a compelling compiler
reason to remove binary literals, I see no good reason to remove
them. The simplification benefit is just too small to justify the
cost in upset users.