What features of D you would not miss?

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 20:19:38 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 15 September 2022 at 19:04:33 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 01:18:30PM +0000, bauss via
> Digitalmars-d wrote:
>> >
>> > You have then to import the module everywhere, wich makes
>> > the feature i want a painful nightmare
>>
>> Could be added to the runtime module and then simply over a
>> couple years the aliases will be deprecated.
>
> That still requires basically *every single D project on the
> planet* to be rewritten to the new type names over the
> deprecation period.
>
> Not practical.
>
> And seriously, guys, these are just *arbitrary names* for
> built-in types. At the cost of wholesale breakage of all
> existing code? Bikeshedding at its finest. This is DOA.

It could be kept as legacy for C compatibility, and new code
could naturally transition to the new types whenever they are
ready

I'm not a language dev, so i don't understand the implications of
such features

I don't see how it's bikeshedding, it brings consistence for
primitives

What's gonna be the name after `cent`? when other modern
languages will have `uint256`, we will be left alone in the dark
with inconsistencies