What features of D you would not miss?

Nicholas Wilson iamthewilsonator at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 18 06:47:50 UTC 2022

On Thursday, 15 September 2022 at 08:40:22 UTC, Dukc wrote:
> On Wednesday, 14 September 2022 at 05:58:53 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote (on the thread about binary literals):
>> On 9/13/2022 7:56 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
>>> But it doesn't disprove the fact that *sometimes*, hex digits
>>> aren't as clear.
>>
>> Does sometimes justify a language feature, when there are
>> other ways?
>>
>> People often complain that D has too many features. What
>> features would you say are not worth it?
>
> This is a good question, but would quickly derail the original
> thread from it's topic, so I decided to start a new one.
>
> What features could be removed from D if it were up to you?
> Please consider the breakage that would result from the
> removal, don't settle on thinking what shouldn't have been
> added in the first place.

real, specifically x86 80-bit,
* its slow, you can't vectorise it
* the extra precision isn't much use
* use is often unintentional, and when it is the intention is
almost always misguided. If you have precision problems a couple
of bits of extra precision won't make up for a horrible
convergence rate and if it does, you probably need an arbitrary
precision type anyway.