What features of D you would not miss?

Timon Gehr timon.gehr at gmx.ch
Sun Sep 18 07:32:50 UTC 2022

On 18.09.22 03:14, Paul Backus wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 20:08:26 UTC, Dennis wrote:
>> On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 07:37:24 UTC, Ogi wrote:
>>> Non-ASCII characters in identifiers. There is no good reason to use
>>> this “feature”, unless your goal is bug-ridden and unmaintainable code.
>>
>> I don't use non-ASCII identifiers, but you'll have to explain how e.g.
>> using `π` instead of `pi` results in bugs or maintenance burden.
>
> I would say not being able to easily type an identifier with the keys on
> one's keyboard counts as a maintenance burden.

There really is no very good excuse for not being able to easily type
such common characters, provided one is able to easily type at all.
Programmers of all people should be able to figure it out.

In any case, not all identifiers are English. As Ali likes to point out,
some Turkish characters have no obvious ASCII substitute and
substituting visually similar characters may result in curse words in
identifiers. In such cases, all of the maintainers know how to type in
Turkish.

People are sometimes prone to dismissing the validity of other cultures.
I am glad D's lexer is not.