Cppfront : A new syntax for C++

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Sun Sep 18 08:47:24 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 22:27:32 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Saturday, 17 September 2022 at 14:57:40 UTC, Paulo Pinto
> wrote:
>> With Val, Carbon and now Cppfront coming out of the C++
>> community itself, we are at an inflection point, I bet C++26
>> might be the latest big revision.
>
> I don't know. I think C++ has become fairly well-rounded now
> that clang is catching up on C++20. At this point it will take
> a while for the C++ community to make good use of C++'s take on
> coroutines and concepts. It would probably be a bad idea to
> continue to push in more big features. Some smaller ones like
> SIMD are missing still. But in the longer term I think we will
> see more standardized hardware oriented features related to
> parallelism, co-processors etc. I suspect Intel and AMD will
> have to do something to ensure their own relevance in the long
> term, and C/C++ is where they can make software "hardware
> dependent". So in that sense C/C++ has a guaranteed long life
> span. System programming isn't just market driven, it is also
> hardware driven.

Clang catching up, that is news to me, specially in what concerns
modules.

Herb Sutter clearly address the issues the need to fix C and C++
due to US  new cyber security bill where it explicitly calls out
for software no longer being written in C and C++, unless there
is no other option.

Eventually using unsafe languages will require clearance from a
cyber security government agency.