How fast is D compilation compared to C++?

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Sat Sep 24 12:05:27 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 11:24:11 UTC, Tejas wrote:

> What kind of requirements? They even have officially suppported
> Windows realeases now, no Apple-ism in sight, AFAICT

Maybe this is too much OT.

Swift was made open source a while ago and as a consequence of
that is that people started to port it to other platforms. How
much this is supported by Apple, I cannot say but probably not
much. However, Apple probably don't mind as it makes the language
more popular. When Apple develops Swift and its libraries in
house they probably try to write it as portable as possible. The
same is similar for C#, that its cross platform support really
helps advance the popularity of the language.

When it comes to requirements, this is only my speculation.
Language engineers are kind of peculiar people, at least about
all I have met. It takes a high level of knowledge to develop
languages and it turn this makes these persons to become stuck in
their academic topics and forget that computer languages are made
to be used by average SW developers. Apple hired a bunch of very
skilled engineers, some from the Rust team which is obvious. In
such organization there is a management to pull these engineers
in ears to make the language user friendly and so that it appeals
to the masses. You can clearly see it in Swift how they cleaned
up the syntax compared to Rust and removed the explicit memory
management. The question is how much that would have happened if
they language engineers would have their own way.

In Apple there is a management to make "the customers are always
right" versus "the language developer is always right". This is
highly simplified of course.