How fast is D compilation compared to C++?

Nick Treleaven nick at geany.org
Sat Sep 24 16:10:37 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 10:47:24 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> Because it is how the D project is managed. If I would have
> been a project manager, that alone would be enough to avoid the
> language. There is also significant resistance to evolve the
> language which is needed.

There is a high bar for new features, which is as it should be.
The fact that people sometimes don't put the work in to write and
evolve a solid proposal is not the maintainers fault. And even
well written proposals should be turned down sometimes if they
don't have a good power to weight ratio.

> Here we have real "customers" that have requirements/desires
> which D doesn't really have but more a hobbyist approach.

The last quarterly foundation meeting had 9 representatives from
companies taking part:
https://forum.dlang.org/post/lxfildvecircypoabain@forum.dlang.org

D is focused on professional users, rather than every syntax
proposal that comes up on the forum.

> The D maintainers want to remove binary literals which is a
> good indication how tone deaf the management is and thus the
> project runs they way it does.

What's your evidence the maintainers (plural) want to remove it?
Wasn't it just an idea of Walter's? I strongly doubt this will
happen. D since roughly 2010 hasn't removed anything that wasn't
bug-prone, hard to support or not working properly.