DIP proposal: Enum parameters

claptrap clap at trap.com
Mon Sep 26 09:18:54 UTC 2022

On Saturday, 24 September 2022 at 07:51:32 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
> On Friday, 23 September 2022 at 15:41:21 UTC, Quirin Schroll
> wrote:
>> Read the draft here:
>> https://github.com/Bolpat/DIPs/blob/EnumParameters/DIPs/1NNN-QFS.md
>>
>> Feedback is welcome.
>
> I'm a bit torn about static vs enum. I partly agree with prior
> speakers about enum getting too many meanings, but on the other
> hand, it's not really a problem imo.

Its not really adding a new meaning, enum already (somtimes)
means "do this at compile time", that's really the problem, that
usage of enum has literally nothing to do with enumeration. It's
like we've run out of English words so we have to use "count" any
time we want to say "now".

Using enum to mean "compile time" or "manifest constant" should
be depreciated in favour of a keyword that actually at least
vaguely relates to those meanings.