D design problem on platforms with <32 bit pointer width

Johan j at j.nl
Sun Aug 20 21:39:04 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 20 August 2023 at 19:15:13 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> To be clear, my proposal would mean that size_t would be an
> alias for ushort, and ptrdiff_t would be an alias for short.

Hi Walter,
   To have a more productive discussion, can you go through the
table in my comment on the gist and look at the proposal column?
I think it captures what you wrote.
Forums posts are not suited for this, we need clear definitions
and a full overview. There are too many cases to keep track of,
hence the table I made. (and I am sure there are a bunch of items
still missing from the table)

Please add additional corner cases you can come up with. Just a
piece of code with an unresolved 16-bit question is OK, proposed
solution is optional (that can be filled in later).

thanks,
   Johan