Why is run.dlang.io not up-to-date?

jmh530 john.michael.hall at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 18:04:55 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 22 August 2023 at 15:25:05 UTC, Quirin Schroll wrote:
> I noticed for quite a while that the (DMD) compilers on
> [run.dlang.io](https://run.dlang.io/) usually aren’t the latest
> compiler version, neither what’s listed as “dmd”, nor
> “dmd-beta”, nor “dmd-nightly”; especially the latter ones are
> really surprising.
>
> Is there a good reason or is run.dlang.io just maintained with
> low-priority? As far as I know, compiler versions follow a
> fixed schedule, so updating to the latest main-line version
> when it comes out could be completely automatic. Nightly could
> (should?) be updated with every merged PR. I have no idea about
> dmd-beta, though.
>
> Also, having read [*LiveView feels faster with a delayed
> indicator*](https://fly.io/phoenix-files/make-your-liveview-feel-faster/), I’d suggest not showing the “progress bar” (which isn’t a display of progress in any shape or form) only after a little while.

run.dlang.org depends on core-exec. I had reported the issue with
respect to old dub dependencies there and Petar responded that
the CI started failing a bit ago and he hasn't had the time to
fix. I'm not sure how to fix it myself and wouldn't have the time
either, but I'm sure if anyone is able to help it is appreciated.
run.dlang is a great piece of functionality.

https://github.com/dlang-tour/core-exec/issues/69