D is our last hope

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:42:45 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 6 December 2023 at 21:58:41 UTC, Andrew wrote:
> On Sunday, 26 November 2023 at 17:52:24 UTC, Imperatorn wrote:
>> Is there really any other language than D that can replace C++
>> and Rust?
>>
>> Go is good, but very tedious to write.
>> Zig, Odin, Beef, V and Jai are not production ready (according
>> to the creators themselves).
>>
>> C# is the only thing is see that could be a serious
>> alternative. Forget about Java, Kotlin or whatever.
>>
>> But other than C#, are there really any serious alternatives?
>>
>> I don't think Rust is the answer, for many reasons.
>>
>> Well, maybe Nim would actually be a serious alternative,
>> however, I'm kinda used to the C-style.
>>
>> Any feedback?
>
> Java is my first and forever love in the world of programming
> languages. I don't mind the hate it gets. ☕

Reminded me of my early days with VB6 and Turbo C (and Turbo
Pascal)

I hated Java when I first tried it. Forced into this "everything
is an object" mindset, and the books I was reading were 900
pages... half of which were understanding OOP in general, not
specifically aimed at Java.

Then you have the C programming language book, which is barely
300 pages.

The late 90's was making me question the direction we were going
and whether this was the career for me. OOP went through some
transitions over the years but I will always remember watching
Mike Acton data-oriented design to make me realise that I am not
alone with my views.

Each to their own... and sorry for diverting the OP question.

#BackToTheQuestion.