D is our last hope

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 7 15:53:35 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 14:21:51 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 14:08:03 UTC, Martyn wrote:
>> On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 11:50:44 UTC, Paulo Pinto
>> wrote:
>>>

>>> The Mike Acton that ended up working for Unity, as part of
>>> the DOTS team, helped design Burst compiler for C# and
>>> nowadays is still busy with C#, after leaving Unity.
>>
>> Yes (I didn't know he had left unity, tho)
>
> My remark was to made the point that regardless of his opinion
> on data-oriented design, he nowadays uses a programming
> language that is pretty much as OOP as Java is, even including
> the latest influences from FP that permeate both languages, as
> features are part of the OOP type system of both languages,
> e.g. lambdas are represented by specific classes/interfaces.

I know it was. I originally chose to ignore it, but hey... you
got me.

I cannot speak for Mike Acton. I cannot comment why he joined
Unity, either. On top of this - I am not a "Unity developer"

My guess is, after years at Isomniac Games, he saw a new
opportunity and a challenge.. and accepted it. I dont think he
accepted it primarily because he would be using C# or that its
about OOP... it is far deeper than that! He is an Games Engine
Developer/Lead.

Besides, are you suggesting that Mike has done nothing with C#
beforehand? I am sure C# was used at Isomniac Games. C# might
have been used for certain in-house editing tools.. perhaps even
HTML/javascript in places.

This does not mean his views are no longer valid, especially his
2014 talk.

But I get it. The point of your reply is to put me in my place.
That "Gotchya!" moment where everybody laughs.

You win... I mean.. whatever.

I prefer to leave that crap at the door. If Mike has changed
views on certain things then I'm interested in hearing about
them. Even John Carmack has spoken about using Python in recent
years. It all depends what they are doing with them, I suppose.

If Mike is still 'doing stuff in C#' like the burst compiler then
good for him. Sounds like he put a lot of effort into that
project and does not want to walk away from it. Again.. point?