D is our last hope

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 7 16:12:32 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 15:51:43 UTC, Dom DiSc wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 14:32:26 UTC, ryuukk_ wrote:
>> And then the people will exclude the people who care (Mike
>> Acton) to empower the developprs who need assistance (GC/OOP)
>> because these people can promote idiocracy, as opposed to
>> meritocracy backed by tangible resulsts (how fast code run,
>> and how efficient it is)
>
> And as always, the people who call themselfes "efficient" don't
> care for memory safety.
> Everybody should use GC - not for assistence because of
> idiocracy, but as a fallback, because even the very best and
> most efficient developers can make mistakes. This is why all
> modern computer systems are full of loopholes. We should
> finally trash manual memory magagement - or at least put huge
> red warning lables on such products that they may be a little
> faster but can be very dangerous.

"Everybody should use GC"

Yes -- to a degree, you are correct in this statement. However,
there is a difference to just using the default bundled in a
programming language, or building your own -- when you have
complete control of how the memory is laid out. It puts you in
control.

You can even argue that DOOM, a game from the early-to-mid-90s,
has some kind of GC.

I think it is a stretch to assume that (AAA engine programmers
specifically) "dont care for memory safety" as you put it. I
think they care very much and do heavy testing. The average web
developer, on the other hand, don't even think about it at all.

I have nothing further to say on this, as we are moving away from
the original OP query.