D is our last hope

Nick Treleaven nick at geany.org
Thu Dec 7 20:58:39 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 20:21:30 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 7 December 2023 at 18:41:04 UTC, Sergey wrote:
>
>> Because Carmack moved into AI research business.. and there is
>> Python is the only real player.
>
> Depends which part. You could probably get rid of Python easier
> than C++. If you're analyzing data, you're probably using
> Python. Tensorflow, on the other hand, is mostly written in C++.

Mojo seems to be another potential competitor to D that will get
a head-start by (aiming at) being a superset of Python with
systems programming features.

"Our overall mission is to unify AI software and we can’t do that
without a unified language that can scale across the AI
infrastructure stack. That said, we don’t plan to stop at AI—the
north star is for Mojo to support the whole gamut of
general-purpose programming over time."