D is our last hope

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 07:18:44 UTC 2023

On Friday, 8 December 2023 at 13:27:46 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> On Friday, 8 December 2023 at 09:06:34 UTC, Hors wrote:
>> This is one of biggest mistakes in dlang's design. They tried
>> to be "everything" (being both garbage collected and not,
>> being both safe and unsafe system language...), it backfired
>> because as you said, you always need to exclude some people or
>> features.
>
> I couldn't agree more. D needs to pick its poison :)

That D treats those two domains equally is supposed to be its
unique selling point that no mainstream language does. I still
fail to see why so many people pick D and then advocate for
killing that fundamental feature. Aren't you excited about the
thought that you can use one language to excel in both domains?

>> IMO dlang needs to be splitted into two different languages
>> one for system and one for general-purpose safe language, but
>> then this means a breaking change to simply every existing D
>> project.
>
> I don't think there is enough people interested in a high level
> language in the D community. If anything, I see D becoming more
> and more of a system language over time.
> Therefore, I am *thiiiiiiiiiiis* close to just forking it and
> tweaking it to be more high-level language. I'm mostly stopped
> by needing to write code completion though

Consider the two probably biggest companies using D. Symmetry
investments used D for high level purposes. Weka.io on the other
hand vendors a file system, which is a systems langauge job. If
we were to declare either domain a second class citizen, we have
to anger one of those companies.