D is our last hope

Bradley Chatha sealabjaster at gmail.com
Mon Dec 11 21:21:46 UTC 2023

On Monday, 11 December 2023 at 20:29:36 UTC, Hipreme wrote:
> Most of the problems we have is the lack of existing work. D's
> std coverage is very good, but has this big problem which is a
> lot more of a concern when you're not using it as a script.
>
> I'm not that unhappy with D, but it is quite exhausting to
> beyond having to develop your project, develop the tools for
> helping you develop the project.

Agreed - with the likes of Go, C#, Python, etc you have a wealth
of libraries for things like Databases+ORMs, high performing
(excluding Python) and well documented frameworks for things like
web APIs or even server side rendering, and also easy just-works
SDKs to access modern application development platforms (AWS;
GCP, Azure if you're unfortunate enough), and so on.

When you don't have an easy to access, plug-and-play solution to
access these external resources, for developers to tinker around
with and prototype ideas with, then effectively a ton of more
casual developers will never really touch D.

With D you just have to do it all from scratch yourself:
Something I'm very very very slowly making progress towards, but
ultimately I understand it's almost pointless in the long run.

However for things that _do_ require you to make a lot of
functionality from scratch, D definitely is pretty awesome to
work with... if you have the time :(