D is our last hope

Martyn martyn.developer at googlemail.com
Tue Dec 12 11:05:30 UTC 2023

On Monday, 11 December 2023 at 18:39:22 UTC, IGotD- wrote:

> Future games will have GC whenever you like it or not. Games
> are becoming more and more complex the benefit of having GC is
> obvious.

It is a misconception that having no Garbage Collector is bad or
dangerous or silly. It is also misleading that (games programming
specifically) will "benefit using a Garbage Collector as games
get more complex."

Game programmers NEED CONTROL OF MEMORY. The only time I can see
this ever changing is if hardware evolves at a faster rate than
software. The reality is the opposite. game programmers have to
squeeze every inch out of the hardware. Of course, I am referring
to the AAA titles.

If you are making a 2D platformer, you could probably write it in
Unity (and do a fairly poor job) and it will still run at 60fps
on your PC. Of course, we are not talking about those games.

Performance is key and they are writing their own memory system.
They also write it to suit the type of game they are making. They
won't just use the default GC that comes bundled with a
programming language.

Also, if there ever is going to be a C++ replacement in the
gaming industry, I think Odin or Jai are going to win. They are
not "GC languages"

https://twitter.com/cmuratori/status/1167230252797480960