D is our last hope

bachmeier no at spam.net
Tue Dec 12 15:02:11 UTC 2023

On Monday, 11 December 2023 at 21:21:46 UTC, Bradley Chatha wrote:

> Agreed - with the likes of Go, C#, Python, etc you have a
> wealth of libraries for things like Databases+ORMs, high
> performing (excluding Python) and well documented frameworks
> for things like web APIs or even server side rendering, and
> also easy just-works SDKs to access modern application
> development platforms (AWS; GCP, Azure if you're unfortunate
> enough), and so on.
>
> When you don't have an easy to access, plug-and-play solution
> to access these external resources, for developers to tinker
> around with and prototype ideas with, then effectively a ton of
> more casual developers will never really touch D.

I suppose this is why my experience with D has been much better
than reported by others. When I started, I was able to call into
R for anything I needed, with no loss of efficiency. Need a
database? It's there. Need a machine learning library like
TensorFlow? It's there. Need parallel random number generation?
It's there.

One of the things I've noticed is that - for reasons I'll never
understand - most developers using D are not willing to do that.
I understand that might not work for a commercial project, but if
you just want to get work done, why not reuse the work that's
been done for other languages?

> With D you just have to do it all from scratch yourself:
> Something I'm very very very slowly making progress towards,
> but ultimately I understand it's almost pointless in the long
> run.

Well, yeah, it's pointless to reinvent the wheel if you don't
have to. First get something that works. Then rewrite all the
low-level stuff in D so it's more convenient/exactly the way you
want/specialized to your use case.