Looking for a Lua alternative

solidstate1991 laszloszeremi at outlook.com
Thu Dec 14 08:38:02 UTC 2023

After losing a battle with trying to get Lua 5.4 working on my
own end, with problems I previously solved kept reappearing, and
other problems just were unable to fix for no good reason, I've
decided to drop it from my own game engine in favor of some
replacement.

I need a lightweight scripting language with integer support that
is either easy to interface with D (preferrably as a DLL/SO file,
so I don't have to deal with godawful C/C++ build systems), or at
least would be easy to port within a few weeks. Most scripting
languages nowadays are de-facto application languages for people
that are scared of compilers and type systems, thus are coming
with 25-50MB worth of standard libraries, which I obviously would
like to avoid packing with my way smaller game engine. At the
very worst, I'll try to port pocketpy or something like that to D
or make it a DLL file.