D is our last hope

aberba karabutaworld at gmail.com
Sat Dec 16 21:11:42 UTC 2023

On Thursday, 14 December 2023 at 14:02:26 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Thursday, 14 December 2023 at 05:40:04 UTC, Hors wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 12 December 2023 at 15:02:11 UTC, bachmeier wrote:

>>> I suppose this is why my experience with D has been much
>>> better than reported by others. When I started, I was able to
>>> call into R for anything I needed, with no loss of
>>> efficiency. Need a database? It's there. Need a machine
>>> learning library like TensorFlow? It's there. Need parallel
>>> random number generation? It's there.
>>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> D is not the best when it comes to interop with other languages
>
> It's not terribly helpful to post something like that without
> elaborating. I've been doing that for ten years and it works
> great.

Sometimes I wonder how many of the D criticisms come from those
who have been using the language for yrs in this community or
have experience enough to make an informed critique.

 From my limited understanding, D allows nogc code, GC code, safe
code, interop with many langs, etc. yet it's always not enough
for some reason.

I wonder how many of those folks are really serious about using
the language cus it *seems* to me that a lot of experienced D
devs are quietly getting things done.

Is there something I'm missing?