Do we need faster regex?

Witold Baryluk witold.baryluk at gmail.com
Sun Dec 17 17:40:21 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 17 December 2023 at 15:43:22 UTC, Dmitry Olshansky
wrote:
> So I’ve been working on rewind-regex trying to correct all of
> the decisions in the original engine that slowed it down,
> dropping some features that I knew I cannot implement
> efficiently (backreferences have to go).
>
> So while I’m obsessed with simplicity and speed I thought I’d
> ask people if it was an issue and what they really want from
> gen2 regex library.
>
>> Dmitry Olshansky
> CEO @ Glowlabs
> https://olshansky.me

I never needed to use backreferences in last 25 years. Something
that has similar performance and scaling like RE2, Plan 9 grep,
or original awk (modulo unicode), would be the best. I somebody
needs backreferences, they can use PCRE, or some 3rd party
libraries.