D is our last hope

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Dec 18 14:08:19 UTC 2023

On Sunday, 17 December 2023 at 12:32:13 UTC, Hors wrote:

> How many is "a lot" actually, we literally only have two
> sponsors, many of dead projects in DUB and hardly seeing new
> projects registered (only to get abandoned after a few months
> or even a few weeks).

There are only two kinds of languages: the ones with many dead
projects and the ones nobody use.

> Also telling they get the job done "quietly", are you trying to
> hide the fact dlang is nearly dead

It doesn't add anything to the conversation to make ridiculous
claims like this with no evidence. Calling D "nearly dead"
indicates you're not making a good faith effort to participate in
a discussion.

> and say "they just do it quietly", Dlang's libraries are really
> limited, you either have to write from scratch, or interop with
> another language (which will usually require to write some
> bridge code by hand)

You weren't using Python in the 1990s. You couldn't do a heck of
a lot with it. Someone spent a lot of time writing a lot of
libraries between then and now. They didn't post complaints, they
wrote code. Then once they wrote all those libraries, other
people used them.

>> I wonder how many of those folks are really serious about
>> using the language
>
> Are you telling me I'm not even serious about using the
> language? Then why I'm even writing here?
>
> My goal is not calling dlang is bad, but I think potential of
> dlang is being wasted, that's why I am writing here.

What will help this language at this point is working on
libraries, documentation, tutorials, etc.