D is our last hope

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 15:33:05 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 14:09:35 UTC, GrimMaple wrote:
> When someone says "My phone's battery is dead", do you reply to
> them "you are exaggerating, it still has 1% left, it's only
> dead when it's 0%"?

The difference is that this forum is full of language
enthusiasts. Criticising the language here, whether for sound
reasons or not, is always more or less difficult to read. This
doesn't mean we have to pretend there aren't problems when there
are, but it does mean that dramatising the issues beyond what
they actually are stris people for no benefit for anyone.

> So, I will reiterate: what would it take you to admit that D is
> more dead than alive and that something must be done about it?

Why would I do that? It's clear that the leadership is, in
general, trying. Granted, Walter is stubborn about some issues
and in most of them I tend to agree with "the crowd", which I
maybe could bring up a bit more often. But in general, what would
me complaining that "D is failing" without any concrete
improvement ideas gain? I think they're already aware of D's
position in, say, the TIOBE index, and more than enough people
are reminding them about that already.

Or are you referring to my earlier comment that D should stay
both a systems and an application programming language? That much
opinion I do have that if we're to try something random to the
language because nothing else is working, we shouldn't start by
killing our existing unique selling points.

I think you might just feel that we don't believe you're having
real problems. I do believe that, and even that say C# can well
work better for you than D. Because we do like the language, and
are just people, it's true that we're reluctant to admit even the
actual problems, and that can come out as unsymphatetic towards
those who bring those up. But making lots of angry noises about
the issue only makes the situation worse.