D is our last hope

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Dec 19 16:59:21 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 15:33:05 UTC, Dukc wrote:

> The difference is that this forum is full of language
> enthusiasts. Criticising the language here, whether for sound
> reasons or not, is always more or less difficult to read. This
> doesn't mean we have to pretend there aren't problems when
> there are, but it does mean that dramatising the issues beyond
> what they actually are stris people for no benefit for anyone.
>
> Why would I do that? It's clear that the leadership is, in
> general, trying. Granted, Walter is stubborn about some issues
> and in most of them I tend to agree with "the crowd", which I
> maybe could bring up a bit more often. But in general, what
> would me complaining that "D is failing" without any concrete
> improvement ideas gain? I think they're already aware of D's
> position in, say, the TIOBE index, and more than enough people
> are reminding them about that already.
>
> Or are you referring to my earlier comment that D should stay
> both a systems and an application programming language? That
> much opinion I do have that if we're to try something random to
> the language because nothing else is working, we shouldn't
> start by killing our existing unique selling points.
>
> I think you might just feel that we don't believe you're having
> real problems. I do believe that, and even that say C# can well
> work better for you than D. Because we do like the language,
> and are just people, it's true that we're reluctant to admit
> even the actual problems, and that can come out as
> unsymphatetic towards those who bring those up. But making lots
> of angry noises about the issue only makes the situation worse.

My opinion has now for several years been that D must be forked
because there are a lot of people that wants D to progress and
catch up. Walter is a no sayer that puts Linus Torvalds to shame
which makes D just sitting without any progress. It is time to
part from this management and continue with people who are tired
of being blocked by often strange decisions that are rooted from
some stigma from the 80s. It's sad really but it is the truth. It
is time to move on.