D is our last hope

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 19 23:48:48 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 19 December 2023 at 19:24:49 UTC, Konstantin wrote:
> * So why is there no language forks? Maybe they are existed,
> but I have never heard about them.

Personally speaking, I did not fork the language for the sole
reasoning of "If I am about to singlehandedly support an entire
language, I might as well just start from scratch and do
everything to my liking". After all, starting anew is always
easier than trying to understand someone else's code.

And, about singlehandedly part, I could never get enough people
to be interested in getting an actual fork going. With how things
are in D community, when the top library contributors basically
have their own standard libraries and even runtimes, it's clearly
not a collaborative environment. But I can't even really blame
anyone for that, because contributing to D directly (dmd, phobos)
is usually a very painful experience. So it is easier to just
write stuff in your own lib anyway.

You can pretty much say that Adam, Hip, Luna, and others already
have their mini-forks of D. It's probably a matter of time when
they just fork the compiler too. And I heard rumors that Adam is
about to do just that.

> * What features should be added to a derived language, in your
> opinion?

In my opinion, we should actually strip D of features and instead
focus on getting a decent standard library out so nobody has to
write their own anymore.