D is our last hope

GrimMaple grimmaple95 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 20 00:20:38 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 20 December 2023 at 00:09:57 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> What's your idea of a decent standard library?
>
> I'm afraid that all of us here each have our own idea of what
> the standard library should be, and they are incompatible with
> each other.

I don't have this pathological hatred towards phobos that some
other Devs have and my code does rely on it heavily. That being
said, phobos is really lacking in features. Also, it is a mess of
incompatible paradigms. To me, a good example is C#'s `System`,
that gets you 99% of what you want from the get go. Phobos,
unfortunately, provides about 10% at best.

I don't really care for speed in a standard library, for me it
should allow me to get stuff done quickly. I can swap out for an
optimized solution later if needed.