D is our last hope

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Wed Dec 20 03:49:30 UTC 2023

On 20/12/2023 4:21 PM, Siarhei Siamashka wrote:
>     We currently have a chain of compilers if you want to bootstrap
>     latest compiler from C++.
>
> This doesn't look good.

This is why its N compilers.

Every link in that chain of compilers has to be maintained.

Its not just a matter of maintaining the frontend, but also the glue
code per version of the backend you target.

Plus druntime and phobos for good measure.

Oh and GCC has rules around what compilers may be used to compile GCC
for distribution. So if D isn't already on a given target... have fun
with that.

On the other hand our frontend is already marked up with
``extern(C++)``, and has manually maintained C++ headers for it.

If only we could take advantage of that.