D is our last hope

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 20 08:09:16 UTC 2023

On 12/19/2023 6:45 PM, jmh530 wrote:
> ImportC is a cool idea. It’s just got limitations right now that prevent it from
> being great. If rethinking it as mixin makes it smoother to use (does your idea
> resolve the duplicate symbol issue?), then it could make some sense.

ImportC is already great :-) People who have been using it have reported that it
has saved them gobs of time. And that's what its mission is!

The desire to extend ImportC is a clear and inevitable sign of its success.

> I don’t know if it’s an either/or sort of thing, but I think you would need to
> introduce this with some sort of way to migrate existing importC code since
> importC wasn’t put behind a preview switch.

ImportC isn't behind a preview switch because it is not a language change.
Nothing changed in the language semantics.