D is our last hope

duckchess duckchess at chess.com
Wed Dec 20 11:19:55 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 20 December 2023 at 07:47:12 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
>> I said you were arguing against the examples, which were in
>> the DIP. Not the specification which also was in the DIP.
>> Examples are examples, not specification. They *use* the
>> feature to demonstrate its utility. They aren't intended to be
>> part of the language additions.
>
> I used the examples to demonstrate problems with the
> specification. I used the examples in the DIP so I would not be
> accused of making up strawmen. I assumed the examples were
> supposed to conform to the specification.

no, you took the examples while completely misunderstanding what
the specification actually said, and then argued a strawman with
those examples.
that's why you are now told to "just look at the implementation",
because you cannot misunderstand that one.

if you insist on a specification, ask the D language foundation
to pay someone to write one.