Shouldn't safety be the default.

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Dec 26 14:53:45 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 26 December 2023 at 08:10:51 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> Yes, safety should be the default. Unfortunately, making it so
> would be a big breaking change. We're going to look into doing
> it once we get going with editions.

Instead of trying to pry safe by default in current D, D should
be revised totally from the ground up and design the language to
be safe by default from the very beginning. We're talking about
D3 or a fork here.

D is starting to show its age and it wasn't designed for "safe"
as we know it today. Even if implemented in D, there would be
holes in the design where unsafe can sneak in.