Shouldn't safety be the default.

ryuukk_ ryuukk.dev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 17:27:46 UTC 2023

On Tuesday, 26 December 2023 at 14:46:45 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> On Tuesday, 26 December 2023 at 12:39:46 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 26 December 2023 at 12:00:13 UTC, Sebastiaan Koppe
>> wrote:
>>
>>> [...]
>>
>> The earlier proposal would have killed D. I no longer recall
>> the details but it would have been miserable to interoperate
>> with C code under that proposal. And without C
>> interoperability, D is dead.
>>
>> All that's needed is a compiler switch rather than breaking
>> everyone's code. Or an easy way to shut it off. Neither of
>> those were on the table.
>
> Rust, Go, Swift, C# are doing just fine with the requirement
> that C interop must be explicitly marked as unsafe.

Microsoft sells tooling and services, they have an army of
"evangelists" to corrupt, i mean to lobby companies / governments
all around the world, these people are driven by an economical
motive to vendor lock you

Same for Apple/Swift, and same for Google/Go

Rust is similar, as it consist of a conglomerate of them all

I don't use D because i want corporate-credibility, i use it
because it gets the job done faster than anything else (is it
even still the case btw?)