50x higher serialization performance than Cereal! Can D be achieved?

Bastiaan Veelo Bastiaan at Veelo.net
Wed Dec 27 17:08:34 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 27 December 2023 at 12:38:16 UTC, zoujiaqing wrote:
> On Wednesday, 27 December 2023 at 12:37:11 UTC, zoujiaqing
> wrote:
>> Look this benchmarks:
>> https://github.com/eyalz800/zpp_bits#benchmark
>>
>> D has cerealed. The performance is already good. But the
>> C++serialization library is too powerful. Can D be achieved?

As far as I can see, this benchmark only compares C++
serialisation. On top of that, I doubt the performance of
cerealed is at all related to the performance of cereal.

Cerealed is by far the only D serializer; We, for example, are
happy users of [sbin](https://code.dlang.org/packages/sbin).

I am not sure of the value of a cross-language serialisation
benchmark other than bragging rights, as I wouldn't select a
language on serialisation performance. That said, D should have
an advantage over C++ because of its introspection capabilities.

--Bastiaan.