Monorepo?

user1234 user1234 at 12.de
Mon Feb 6 18:15:00 UTC 2023

On Monday, 6 February 2023 at 17:56:33 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> On Monday, 6 February 2023 at 17:09:36 UTC, user1234 wrote:
>> On Monday, 6 February 2023 at 10:22:32 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>> Now that dmd/druntime is in one repo, is there a good reason
>>> to not include Phobos?
>>
>> This could lead to more breaking changes. Monorepo means that
>> only BuildKite will be able to detect them, **unless** it is
>> specified that it's not allowed to commit changes in phobos
>> just because required by a change in dmd/druntime.
>>
>> The need for this rule says it all.
>
> I don't understand, could you please explain how there'd be
> more breaking changes?

I'll try to reword a bit:

In case of an unexpected breaking change that would manifest
itself only in the Phobos test suite and not in the BuildKite CI,
and without "the rule", authors will be tempted to fix the
problem in phobos in the same PR as the one initially only
supposed to change DMD.

As special rule is required, then why put phobos in the main D
repo ?
The fact that a special rule is required is a sign that a
monorepo is a bad idea.