unittest "name" {}

Andrew andrewlalisofficial at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 21:25:50 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 11 February 2023 at 21:10:15 UTC, Bradley Chatha
wrote:
> On Saturday, 11 February 2023 at 20:05:38 UTC, max haughton
> wrote:
>> That being said I am in favour of the language dictating that
>> a string in a UDA on a unittest has special meaning (i.e. is a
>> name or description)
>
> Wouldn't that only really be useful if the compiler had better
> support for named unittests, e.g. `-test-filer=yada`, or
> `-test-output=pretty (similar to silly or something like that)`?
>
> Or am I missing the point entirely here :D

In my opinion, the compiler doesn't really need to be responsible
for all the bells and whistles in a modern testing framework; it
just compiles code or it complains when it can't.

The issue is that we as a community haven't rallied around a
single best testing framework which expands upon the basic
`unittest` functionality. Atila's "unit-threaded" might be the
best contender so far, but it's not unanimous like pytest for
python or junit for java.