Monorepo?

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Tue Feb 14 02:27:42 UTC 2023

On 14/02/2023 3:21 PM, deadalnix wrote:
> On Tuesday, 14 February 2023 at 01:57:43 UTC, Richard (Rikki) Andrew
> Cattermole wrote:
>> Same goes for things like GC's, it is its own specialty. We should be
>> moving things out of dmd's repository, not moving them in!
>
> What practical problem would moving the GC out of the DMD repo solve?

Not just the GC, almost all of the druntime shouldn't be in there.

There are three things directly tied to the compiler that do need to be
in there:

1. Attributes
2. Intrinsics (*sigh* atomics not picking that battle with dmd right now)
3. Hooks, must be templated (has its own benefits in simplifying the
compiler quite significantly)

Everything else is library code like bindings which super doesn't need a
compiler developer to look at them. And that is the point, its different
groups that should be maintaining it, merging it will not encourage it,
it will only mean people step on each others toes more.