Why is std.regex slow, well here is one reason!

Herbie Melbourne herbmel23268 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 25 14:26:32 UTC 2023

On Friday, 24 February 2023 at 20:44:17 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> Is 'A' in German different from the 'A' in English? Yes. Do
> they have different keys on the keyboard? No. Do they have
> different Unicode code points? No. How do you tell a German 'A'
> from an English 'A'? By the context.

But it is the same Latin 'A' just like '0' is the same digit
(which may look like an O) only it's pronounced differently.

> The same for the word "die". Is it the German "the"? Or is it
> the English "expire"? Should we embed this in the letters
> themselves? Of course not.

Some languages use pictograms for words instead of letters, like
Chinese, but whether or not they are encoded with different code
points for each language idk. Also Chinese has traditional and
simplified - so, multiple code points for the same word?

My understanding of Unicode has always been that it's merely a
mapping of a number, a code point, to a letter, word, symbol,
icon, an idea and nothing more. Unicode is agnostic to layout.
That's defined in a font.