Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Richard (Rikki) Andrew Cattermole richard at cattermole.co.nz
Sun Jan 1 15:32:23 UTC 2023

On 01/01/2023 2:58 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> I know I'm not convincing anyone, and that's OK. Seg faults are a marvel
> of modern CPU technology, but 99% of programmers regard them as uncool
> as a zit. D will get sumtypes and pattern matching and then everyone can
> do what works best for them. D has always been a language where you can
> choose between a floor wax and a dessert topping.

You convinced me ages ago.

I was saying it a few days ago on Discord, why we don't add null checks
for things like classes, because the CPU already does it! Only issue is
when it doesn't give you a stack trace.

> Personally, I'm most interested in sumtypes and pattern matching as a
> better error handling mechanism than throwing exceptions.

So am I.

The only difference is, I want it automatic as part of throw/try catch
statements.

I should really finish off that DIP...