betterC and CTFE

Hipreme msnmancini at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 7 11:58:48 UTC 2023

On Saturday, 7 January 2023 at 10:31:28 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Every time I decide to have a look at what is happening in D,
> most certainly there is a ongoing discussion thread about the
> GC.
>
> So much discussion about systems programming and GC, while
> others are shipping hardware running Go and .NET workloads on
> bare metal, like USB Armoury and Meadow boards.

Although I really hate betterC, having the nogc thing is a good
thing. Making everything nogc is useless though. For example,
leaking GC data in a loop is not good, so for my engine I can
easily check if I'm doing that and where I'm doing that. What I
would prefer though would be nogc, pure and safe inference
because most people hates putting all attributes to make it
callable by any function.

That being said, I don't want discussions about GC unless a way
to make it run on WASM or how to make it faster, that is tackling
the problems right in the root.

Anyway, GC makes people productive and I believe that in 2023 it
should not even be a question.