Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 20:37:45 UTC 2023

On Monday, 9 January 2023 at 17:30:32 UTC, Don Allen wrote:
> I'm only about a week into this, so not a lot of experience,
> but 1Password has worked well so far. A minor inconvenience is
> that the 1Password browser extension wants the master password
> the first time you use it after a browser restart. My password
> is 15 random characters, so impossible to remember. I've dealt
> with this by putting the password in a file in a USB key and
> have a little script to mount the key (using doas so I don't
> have to do this as root), print the password and umount the key
> (doas again). I then copy-paste the password to make the
> extension happy. Not a big deal.

A word of warning, 1Password requires you to enter the master
password every 2 weeks. So you may want to find a better way to
do it, or try to memorize that password.

I personally have it set to require the MP whenever the screen is
locked and reopened. I have the Mac desktop app installed, and
you log in once, and it works for all browsers at that point
(restarting browser doesn't require a reentry).

-Steve