Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Jan 10 03:49:17 UTC 2023

On 1/9/2023 3:19 PM, bachmeier wrote:
> Your computer is always going to be a single point of failure for passwords if
> you're not using 2FA, independent of the password manager issue. Weak/recycled
> passwords is far worse than anything that can happen when you put your passwords
> in the cloud.

I'm aware of that. But I don't lose *all* my passwords due to one failure.

> The bigger advantage of a password manager is that it provides a convenient way
> to generate secure passwords - even if you ultimately choose to write them on a
> piece of paper.

Assuming the password generator algorithm isn't itself cracked.

> But you don't need to put them in the cloud or on paper.

Storing passwords in the cloud is one of the riskier ideas. What if your cloud
provider disables your account? What if they just "go dark"? How is *losing* all
your passwords going to affect you?

> KeepassXC works just fine on your local machine.

Replacing one single point of failure with another single point of failure is
not progress.