Fixing C's Biggest Mistake

Guillaume Piolat first.last at spam.org
Wed Jan 11 08:57:25 UTC 2023

On Wednesday, 11 January 2023 at 00:02:30 UTC, A moo person wrote:

> There are definitely cases where it is desirable. In games,
> especially competitive real time games, the show must go on. If
> you are in a high adrenalin match and your game crashes at the
> worst time because some animation system got into an invalid
> state, you will be very mad.

We need to caracterize where it's ok to go on, typically it's
cases where showing errors in would be worse for the user, and
the user is creating some "content".

- Markdown has a design where it always compile. No errors
because erros have a visual impact, and in content creation if it
has no visual impact it's not a real error.

- typically a game engine: if a file failed to load

- HTML and CSS are famously lenient

But all those cases are "input errors", not "invalid state".